History of Crosbie Towers
Corsbie Castle as it was originally known, was given along with other land and estates to the Craufurd family in 1263 by the King Alexander the Third in reward for services rendered to the Crown, probably at the Battle of Largs, where the Vikings were defeated. Indeed, William Wallace stayed in the castle with his uncle, Reginald Craufurd. But for a twist of fate Wallace would have been burned in the Barn at Ayr with Reginald and other nobles when they were ambushed by the English. He escaped as he had returned to Corsbie Castle to collect some letters which had been forgotten, or so we believe from historical records and published articles.
Corsbie to Crosbie
The estate remained in Craufurd hands until around 1890 when it was taken over by the Graham family as a country estate, employing several full time domestic staff including a chauffeur and gardener.
Over that period of 500 years the name became “Crosbie Towers” as it appears to be easier on the tongue.
During the Second World War, Crosbie Towers was home to a tank and armoured vehicle section and odd bits of temporary metal road tracks turn up to this day.
In the 1950’s Crosbie Towers became a Youth Hostel and even now we get people coming back with fond memories of time spent here. Sadly, fewer now as the years go on.
Caravan Park Beginnings
In 1959 the estate was purchased by the Wishart family and they turned it into Crosbie Towers Caravan Park. It remained in their possession until purchased in 1972 by The McClain Family who still own it today with Graeme McClain, the third generation, gradually assuming control from his father, Iain.
Crosbie Towers was transformed into the modern and attractive holiday caravan park we have here today starting with a vision and dream of Norman McClain, sheer hard work, and a family dedicated to simply making it a great place to have your own holiday home.